One of the first things a learner driver should do is become familiar with the rules of the road. If your learn these off well, you are half way to passing your test. The following information provides you with all the information you will need.
The rules of the road are for all road users - drivers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, horse riders and cyclists.
You must have a satisfactory knowledge of these rules to get a driving licence, but learning about road safety doesn’t stop once you pass a driving test. It takes a lifetime.
This website is divided into seven sections.
- Your licence & vehicle explains the legal requirements for driving, the driving test, NCT details and the laws for learner permit holders
- Rules for Driving explains each of the rules that apply whilst driving on the different roads in Ireland
- Accidents Gardai and Penalties discusses the laws that apply when things go wrong on Irish roads.
- Rules for Pedestrians, Cyclists, and Motorcyclists lists out the laws that apply to these specific road users.
- Respecting other road users covers the laws that apply when you encounter other road users on Irish roads
- Understanding Traffic Signs shows every legal road sign, and explains their purpose
- Useful Resources is a list of other websites and materials of interest to Irish road users.